Discover how an Apprenticeship can help you and your career. 
Female apprentice

What is an Apprenticeship? 

If you live in England and are over 16 you can apply for an Apprenticeship. There are various levels of Apprenticeship you can undertake depending on your current skills and qualifications: 
 
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship (Level 2) 
Advanced Level Apprenticeship (Level 3) 
Higher and Degree Level Apprenticeship (Level 4 or above) 
 
Find out more about the wide range of Courses we offer, from Health and Social Care to Retail and Management qualifications. 
 
All Apprenticeships are real jobs so all apprentices earn a salary. You will be paid at least the current Apprenticeship National Minimum Wage of £3.40 per hour, however many Apprenticeships pay significantly more. As an apprentice you should work for at least 30 hours per week and an Apprenticeship takes between one and five years to complete, depending upon the level of Apprenticeship and the industry sector. 
 
Most of the training is delivered in the workplace, so you will learn the skills you need to do the job well. The rest of the training is delivered flexibly to suit you, either at our Training Centre based in Fareham, another agreed location or via e-learning. The training is specifically tailored to ensure you develop the skills your employer wants. This gives apprentices a real advantage in the workplace and means they have better long term prospects and excellent progression opportunities, whether looking to study further or climb the ranks within the workplace. 

As an Apprentice 

Apprentices usually work for at least 30 paid hours a week and must work more than 16. 
 
You must be paid for time spent training or studying for a relevant qualification, whether at work or at a college or training organisation. 
 
You must be offered the same conditions as other employees working at similar grades or in similar roles. This includes: 
 
paid holidays 
sick pay 
any benefits the employer offers, eg childcare voucher schemes 
any support the employer offers, eg coaching or mentoring 

Who are they for? 

Apprenticeships can be completed by existing staff who want to recognise and develop their skills, or someone who has joined the organisation specifically in an apprenticeship role. 
 
You can apply for an apprenticeship while you’re still at school. To start one, you’ll need to be: 
 
16 or over 
living in England 
not in full-time education 
 
With growth of Higher and Degree Apprenticeships, there is now a real alternative to traditional university study, with the opportunity to move your career forward, gain professional skills, status and accreditation , all whilst in a job and earning a salary. 
 
Higher and Degree Apprenticeships offer an exciting new way to enter professional careers and gain valuable work experience while achieving a degree-level qualification. This gives you a clear pathway to reach your career ambitions in the workplace and will result in higher earning capacity, recognition and professional status. Today there are 75 Higher and Degree Apprenticeships available, including foundation degrees, HNDs and full honours degrees. These cover more than 100 different job roles, ranging from legal services to banking and engineering, with many more in development. 

Cost and Funding 

If you work for a large employer your apprenticeship will be paid for out of their apprenticeship levy. If you work for a small or medium sized employer the government will pay for 90% of the cost of your training in most cases, subject to your eligibility. Your employer will pay the remaining 10%. Please speak to us or your employer about the different options. 
 
Eligibility criteria can include: 
 
Prior attainment 
Employment status 
Working hours 
Nationality 
 
Please note this a guide only and is dependent on individual circumstance. The criteria may change at any time. 
 
If you are unsuccessful in attaining government funding but would still like to do a qualification, you can pay privately using the following payment options: 
 
Employer contribution 
Fareport's Payment Terms 

 

 

Business Development Team 

For more information on Apprenticeships or to apply for an apprenticeship, please contact the Business Development Team on; 
01329 825805 

 

28a Lower Bath Lane 
Fareham, Hampshire 
PO16 0DH 
By Phone 
01329 825805 
By Email 

Recognition 

European Social Fund Logo
Ofsted Outstanding Logo
Skills funding agency logo
Apprenticeships logo
Matrix logo
Training Excellence logo

Join Our Mailing List 

Back to top